We expect our students to be proud to belong to Jane Austen College and represent the college positively, so it is important that they are smartly dressed in full college uniform. Our standards are high and the college uniform should be worn correctly every day.
Please help us to maintain these high standards by ensuring students are appropriately dressed when they leave for school each day.
Our main uniform supplier is Stevensons. Unless otherwise stated, all items of uniform should be purchased through our official supplier.
- One pair of small metal stud earrings may be worn. No facial piercings are permitted.
- Ear tunnels, stretchers and plugs are not permitted.
- No rings, necklaces or bracelets are to be worn, apart from medical alert jewellery.
- A watch may be worn.
- Make-up is not to be worn until students are in Year 9, at which point if a student chooses to wear make-up it should be subtle and discreet. Nail varnish should not be worn.
- Hairstyles and colours should not be extreme. We would strongly suggest that parents discuss hairstyles and colours with the school beforehand if they are in any doubt as to whether they might be considered extreme. This will avoid potential issues.
- Grey Blazer with logo
- Smart, tailored black trousers or knee-length kilt
- Long-sleeved white shirt
- Red and grey school tie
- Red v-neck jumper (optional)
- Smart, black, leather or leather ‘look’ shoes - no trainers, heels or boots
- Shoes should be worn with white or black/dark-coloured socks or thick/opaque black tights
Shirts can be purchased from any retailer as long as they are smart school shirts of the same style as the shirts available through our supplier. If in doubt please check with the school. Girls’ shirts must have an open collar. Short-sleeved shirts can be worn in the summer term only.
Shoes, PE trainers, coats, and bags can be purchased from any retailer.
Bags and coats
- Coats are to be smart without large logos and branding. We would encourage parents to choose coats with reflective strips, for safety. Hoodies are not permitted.
- Bags should be predominantly black, without large logos and branding. Bags need to be suitable for carrying student books and equipment e.g. backpack or satchel styles.
- Students may also use our red Jane Austen College PE bags if they choose.
Black or red half-zip mid-layer top with academy logo
Black or red unisex polo top with academy logo
Black sports bottoms or tracksuit bottoms
Shorts or a skort
Sports leggings with academy logo
Black sports socks
Black or red half-zip rain jacket (optional)
Black long sleeved base layer (optional)
The midlayer/jumper and/or rain jacket are the only outer layers permitted for all year groups.
If your child has lost their PE kit or needs to buy a new one, this can be purchased from Stevensons, either online or in-store (67 Ber St, Norwich, NR1 3AD). If you are in the process of ordering a new PE kit for your child, a similar alternative is acceptable (sports wear) for a short period, so your child is still able to participate in their PE lessons. Please do let us know if this is the case.
Our expectation is that students change for PE, if they are unwell or injured, unless their injury prevents them from changing easily. Students can still take in an alternative role in the lesson, such as coaching or umpiring to ensure they are still learning and making progress.
Thank you for supporting us with ensuring high standards and expectations are met at Jane Austen College. If you would like to discuss this in more detail, please feel free to contact me via contact with the school reception.
There are a number of items that a student needs to be able to take a full and active part in learning at Jane Austen College. These are outlined below and should be carried by students at all times.
To be provided by students
- 2 black/blue pens
- 1 pencil
- 1 green pen
- 1 mini-whiteboard pen (one free pen will be issued at the start of school)
- 1 rubber
- 1 sharpener
- 1 ruler (at least 15 cm)
- 1 reading book (can be borrowed from our library)
- Geometry set for years 10 and 11
Please note - we will provide students with a student planner.
Help with uniform costs
Help with uniform costs
The Anguish's Educational Foundation offers grants to help pay for school uniform and other educational costs for families living in Norwich. Please visit their website for more details.