Year 7 Admissions
To apply for a place at Jane Austen College, you will need to do two things. You must:
Complete an online application form with Norfolk County Council to request a place at Jane Austen College.
Your child must sit a Fair Access Banding test:
If your child already attends Charles Darwin Academy or Norwich Primary Academy, then they will complete their tests in school.
If your child does not attend these schools, then you should fill in this form to enrol your child to sit the test at Jane Austen College.
The 2024/25 admission to secondary school application round opens on Monday 11th September 2023. Applications can be made online from this date.
The application round closes on Tuesday 31st October 2023. Late applications can still be made after this date by completing the application form linked below.
If your child is in their last year at a primary or junior school, you must apply for a place in Year 7 at a secondary school.
Fair Access Banding
Fair Access Banding is the use of a short assessment which allocates students according to their ability. This means we can take a range of students from different abilities. It's a common system used around the country, particularly in London, and its a really fair way to ensure we get a spread of abilities entering our school.
At Jane Austen College, we want to make sure we have really fair ways to allocate places to students in Year 7. That's why we use Fair Assessment Banding. We truly believe in comprehensive education, the opportunity for every student to come to our school no matter their background, and we believe this is a very fair way to achieve that.
You can find out more about Fair Access Banding tests by watching the video below or download our FAQs here.
If your child will not be taking the test at Charles Darwin Academy or Norwich Primary Academy, please complete this form to enrol them on the test.
The form will open on the 1st November and will close of the 8th November 2023. All parent/carers who have applied will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org with a reminder to complete this. Please check your spam and junk folders for this email. All Fair Access Banding Tests need to be booked by the 8th November.
Secondary School Admissions Timetable for September 2024 Entry
- Round opens - 11th September 2023
- Round closes - 31st October 2023
- National Offer Day - school place decisions are made available - 1st March 2024
- Appeals closing date - 22nd March 2024
- Mini admission round to consider changes - 3rd April 2024
- Late appeals closing date - 19th April 2024
- Appeals hearings - May/June 2024
- Waiting lists maintained for oversubscribed schools until 31st December 2024
If you apply online, you will be able to sign in to your account and see the decisions during the day on 1 March 2024. If you post an application form, you will be sent a letter on 1 March 2024 by second class post telling you the decision.
Below is a step-by-step guide to how places are allocated for our new Year 7 intake. More information can be found in our Admissions Policy below.
- Student applies to Jane Austen College
- Student takes fair banding test
- If student has an EHCP/SEND statement they are allocated a place in a band
- All other students are assigned to bands
- If we are oversubscribed within bands, students are allocated a place in the order set out below:
- Students who are in Local Authority Care
- Siblings of students already in the school
- Students who are the children of school staff
- Students who are currently at Charles Darwin Primary or Norwich Primary Academy
- Students living closest to the school by straight line distance
- When a band is full, no more places are allocated in that band. If there are spaces in other bands, then students are allocated equally from the bands above and below the one with space, following the oversubscription criteria if necessary
- 180 spaces are allocated and parents/carers informed.