Year 7 Admissions
From 2021 for a September 2022 start, to apply for a place at Jane Austen College, you will need to do two things. You must:
Both complete the Norfolk County Council application, as normal, when the admission round begins and then complete a short "fair access banding" test. If your child currently attends Norwich Primary Academy or Charles Darwin Academy then their test will be sat in school and will be arranged by the teachers there.
For all other schools you should go online and choose a date and time to come to Jane Austen College to complete the test.
We have decided to use Fair Banding, which involves a verbal reasoning test, so that we can have a fair and equal spread of ability in the school, and one which matches the national average of ability. This means it doesn’t matter how a student performs on the test, everyone has a fair chance to be allocated a place. It is NOT a pass or fail test, students are not more likely to get in if they score higher and the results are not used by the school to make choices about their life at school.
We are really looking forward to welcoming the students to the site, and hope they will enjoy the visit. We will provide juice and snacks, and make it a very welcoming experience.
The test takes around half an hour and parents / carers are welcome to wait and take another look at our school at the same time, if you wish.
The link for booking is here: https://forms.gle/4zEddUVtmwPafp2s5
Below is a step by step guide to how places are allocated for our new Year 7 intake. More information can be found in our Admissions Policy.
- Student applies to Jane Austen College
- Student takes fair banding test
- If student has an EHCP/SEND statement they are allocated a place in a band
- All other students are assigned to bands
- If we are oversubscribed within bands, students are allocated a place in the order set out below:
- Students who are in Local Authority Care
- Siblings of students already in the school
- Students who are the children of school staff
Students who are currently at Charles Darwin Primary or Norwich Primary Academy
- Students living closest to the school by straight line distance
- When a band is full, no more places are allocated in that band. If there are spaces in other bands, then students are allocated equally from the bands above and below the one with space, following the oversubscription criteria if necessary
- 180 spaces are allocated and parents/carers informed
Year 7 Admissions
Transfer to secondary school applications closed on the 31st October 2021. However, late applications can still be made by completing an application form.
If your child is in their last year at a primary or junior school, you must apply for a place in Year 7 at a secondary school.
If you apply online, you will be able to sign in to your account and see the decisions during the day on 1 March 2022. If you post an application form, you will be sent a letter on 1 March 2022 by second class post telling you the decision.
Secondary school admissions timetable for September 2022 Entry
- Round opens - 10th September 2021
- Round closes - 31st October 2021
- National Offer Day - school place decisions are made available - 1st March 2022
- Appeals closing date - 22nd March 2022
- Mini admission round to consider changes - 1st April 2022
- Late appeals closing date - 19th April 2022
- Appeals hearings - May/June 2022
- Waiting lists maintained for oversubscribed schools until 31st December 2022
Secondary School Admissions Timetable for September 2023 Entry
- Round opens - 9th September 2022
- Round closes - 31st October 2022
- National Offer Day - school place decisions are made available - 1st March 2023
- Appeals closing date - 22nd March 2023
- Mini admission round to consider changes - 3rd April 2023
- Late appeals closing date - 19th April 2023
- Appeals hearings - May/June 2023
- Waiting lists maintained for oversubscribed schools until 31st December 2023