Year 7 Admissions
From 2021 for a September 2022 start, to apply for a place at Jane Austen College, you will need to do two things. You must:
Both complete the Norfolk County Council application, as normal, when the admission round begins
Then complete a short "fair access banding" test. If your child currently attends Norwich Primary Academy or Charles Darwin Academy then their test will be sat in school and will be arranged by the teachers there.
For all other schools you should go online and choose a date and time to come to Jane Austen College to complete the test.
We have decided to use Fair Banding, which involves a verbal reasoning test, so that we can have a fair and equal spread of ability in the school, and one which matches the national average of ability. This means it doesn’t matter how a student performs on the test, everyone has a fair chance to be allocated a place. It is NOT a pass or fail test, students are not more likely to get in if they score higher and the results are not used by the school to make choices about their life at school.
We are really looking forward to welcoming the students to the site, and hope they will enjoy the visit. We will provide juice and snacks, and make it a very welcoming experience.
The test can be taken at school on:
Saturday 27th November 9am-3pm
Wednesday 1st December 5pm-8pm
Saturday 11th December 9am-3pm
The test takes around half an hour and parents / carers are welcome to wait and take another look at our school at the same time, if you wish.
The link for booking is here: https://forms.gle/4zEddUVtmwPafp2s5
Below is a step by step guide to how places are allocated for our new Year 7 intake. More information can be found in our Admissions Policy.
- Student applies to Jane Austen College
- Student takes fair banding test
- If student has an EHCP/SEND statement they are allocated a place in a band
- All other students are assigned to bands
- If we are oversubscribed within bands, students are allocated a place in the order set out below:
- Students who are in Local Authority Care
- Siblings of students already in the school
- Students who are the children of school staff
Students who are currently at Charles Darwin Primary or Norwich Primary Academy
- Students living closest to the school by straight line distance
- When a band is full, no more places are allocated in that band. If there are spaces in other bands, then students are allocated equally from the bands above and below the one with space, following the oversubscription criteria if necessary
- 180 spaces are allocated and parents/carers informed
Secondary school admissions timetable for 2022/23:
- National Offer Day - school place decisions are made available - 1st March 2022
- Appeals closing date - 22nd March 2022
- Mini admission round to consider changes - 1st April 2022
- Late appeals closing date - 19th April 2022
- Appeals hearings - May/June 2022
- Waiting lists maintained for oversubscribed schools until 31st December 2022
How to Apply:
Applications can be made online using the Norfolk County Council online school admissions website.
Please note the applications closed on the 31st October 2021.
Alternatively, you can complete a paper application form and return this to Norfolk County Council, Admissions Section, FREEPOST IH2076, County Hall, NR1 2BR no later than the 31st October 2021.
If you apply online, decisions will be available during the day on the 1st March 2022 on the school admissions website.
If you complete a paper application form, Norfolk County Council will send you a letter on the 1st March 2022 by second class post, telling you the decision.